Monday, July 15


GUFC Hold On Against Hambledon

After coming back from 4-0 down, Hambledon gave Guildford the mightiest of scares by pulling back three goals, however, GUFC held on to take all three points and win 4-3.

The last home game of the season began with back-and-forth action with chances at both ends. Knappers having a tidy header saved before Malice, between the GUFC sticks, pulling off two sensational saves to keep the score at 0-0. Soon after the second save, Vinny flicked on a Redders’ lobbed pass to an on-running Whitsy, who rounded the keeper and finished expertly. One quickly turned to two as Vinny escaped the back four and had a shot deflect up-and-over the stranded Hambledon keeper.

HT: GUFC 2 – 0 Hambledon

Right after the break, Vinny challenged for the ball with Hambledon’s keeper which led to a Redders tap-in at the back post. Hambledon’s protests of a foul on their goalkeeper fell on deaf ears. Within 55 minutes, the three points looked all but confirmed as Adam shifted the ball on to his left foot before curling it into the top-corner from outside of the opposition box. Little did we know, the match was nowhere near finished. Hambledon’s skillful number 10, darted into the box as Malice came sliding out and timing his tackle to perfection. The referee did not see it this way and subsequently gave Hambledon a penalty. In traditional fashion, Malice saved the penalty before the lethal Hambledon striker converted the rebound. With GUFC heads’ still being scratched following the referee’s decision, Hambledon pulled another one back through a curled effort from the corner of the box. Tidy finish from Hambledon’s and the league’s top scorer. The pressure kept mounting for Guildford, and this led to a Hambledon third as Kuda bagged his hat-trick.

The Doots managed to regain composure within the match and began to work their way back into the tie. With chances for both sides, the game dwindled out in a scrappy fashion but, most importantly, the final whistle was blown with Guildford United scoring the three points and maintaining the charge toward the league title.

FT: GUFC 4 – 3 Hambledon

Published by Guildford United