Tuesday, July 16


Guildford United 2 v 3 University of Surrey

Following a night of celebrations (congratulations on your engagement, Vinnie!), the lads turned up to a dead-rubber Cup game versus the Uni. The final match of this elongated group stage but GUFC had already qualified for the next round.

The team lined up in a fairly familiar fashion with Tristan and Adam coming into the side. Despite the sore heads, Guildford started fairly brightly on a miserable day at the BP. Playing the ball well along the back and beginning to generate chances. The chances predominantly coming from set pieces. Through this, Greg would break the deadlock with a fine chest and volley finish from the edge of the box which found the bottom corner.

Following taking the lead, the Doots began to leak chances at the other end and relied on a few brilliant saves from Mal. University of Surrey frequently getting behind the back four and causing problems. GUFC struggled also to deal with the aerial ball. University of Surrey equalised through a questionable penalty as the defence failed to deal with an incoming cross and the referee had judged Phil to push the opposing striker. The University’s penalty was saved expertly by Mal, his trademark, but only to find an oncoming Surrey player who finished the rebound.

Soon after one, came two for Surrey as the University counter attacked with a long ball over Tristan which found the fast-paced winger who slotted the ball home.

HT: 1-2

United began the second half with real intent and determination to turn the game on it’s head and started with more intensity. The team grew further into the fixture, only to be done on the counter as a ricocheted block fell to the feet of Surrey’s captain who played a high-quality ball over the top of the back four and the winger finished for his second of the afternoon.

University’s side began to drop deeper and started to feel the effect of Guildford’s pressure. Again, Matt Tidbury’s set pieces causing the majority of the issues for Uni’s defence. It was Tidbury’s corner that led to a perfectly-placed header from Phil Hornbrook. The cup tie was back on.

Guildford United pressed further, and began to push on, creating a bucket load of chances and having significant amount of possession in attacking areas. Successive corners led to multiple chances, usually-lethal Carpo couldn’t find the net and neither could Callum from close range.

Despite the result, the Doots are through to the next round of the cup. Back to league action next week against tough and familiar foes, Shottermill & Haslemere.

FT: 2-3

Published by Guildford United